Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chalk Board paint and the Ikea bins

Hi everyone! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Yesterday was the first day of kindergarten for our oldest son. He was brave, I was brave and no tears from either of us.
This weekend I went to Ikea with Meggan, we took my two oldest children and my baby stayed behind at Meggan's home with our husbands.
Grant was tall enough to go to Smaland and kendel was not...she was mad, but I think she liked the one on one time in the store.
I purchased a new bath mat, apple corer and these Slugis bins they were $6.99 ea . My hope was to use them as toy bins for my children.
So Lets Get Started!
I took a long piece of paper (18x16) and folded it in half. Then I drew (free hand) a half oval.

Then I folded the half oval in half again.
Next cut out the half oval and unfold it and you have a oblongish oval.


With repositionable tape adhere it to the bins and trace with a pencil. Next peel back the paper and make sure that none of the repositionable tape is on the bin.



Paint inside the lines (or outside in my case). This is the first coat, I did 2 coats. My job wasn't that great, but overall I was pretty happy with the results. Don't forget the prime the chalkboard surface with chalk a few days later. Also, I used Rust-oluem Specialty Chalkboard paint.



Finished Project!



Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for the comments

Here are some fun places I have linked up at:








7 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love it :) Your so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought to use the chalkboard paint on plastic. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a darling idea!! Don't you just love that chalkboard paint : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cute & I especially partial because I have a Grant & a girl whose middle name is Olivia! But no Kendel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I just did chalkboard bins this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like. I used chalkboard paint on my project this week to. Your bins look terrific! Isn't Ikea the best?

    belle
    http://beautifulnest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete